
I am eager to help out & most importantly I am anxious to support the Society's efforts with enthusiasm. Having participated in the past with K.C. walks I was disappointed with the lack of morale last year. Granted...it was snowing...but even more reason to give it our all! Though people on the street can not identify me as someone living with MS, it is impossible to separate this disease from my identity. For me, MS means an inability to decipher the slightest touch. Weakness in my right hand has changed all. MS is my wedding band slipping off because of my numb finger, and it's difficulty hooking my bra, using buttons and zippers. It was receiving a cane at 25 and needing Depends upon occasion at 30. I can identify and would love to volunteer my time; it's enthusiasm we need...and I've got it!"

I spoke with the new representative via phone for my local chapter regarding the upcoming (April is "upcoming" if you can believe that!) local Walk. He had called me. He asked if I had established my team yet & thanked me for participating last year, "those people with MS in your area really appreciate it" he stated. He thanked me for my offer to help, but assured me that there was a committee that has it all taken care of. I stated again, that I am happy to help with anything-doesn't need to be glamorous, it can be behind the scenes, I'm just happy to do so. Again me reassured me, at this point humbling me, that he will keep me in mind.
So I will go on, and I will do my own community awareness and fundraising. And who knows, maybe they have all their ducks in a row & this walk will be amazing...regardless; I will be there and I will have a smile on my face & I will hand the MS volunteer the cow bell and show her the happy dance that she will need to do when I turn in my contribution form. This excitement was lacking last year. Maybe I will bring in my own happy dance background music.
