Monday, October 27, 2008

heartbreak & happy endings

We don't know how it started. It was Friday, we had a huge weekend coming up, Sam's birthday party the next day, pizza @ Grandparents that next night, KC Jackson's birthday bash in KC on Sunday...and Sam was in a funk. He was not behaving, he was not listening, and he was whining. Not the kind that stopped either, the kind that can make even the strongest of parents cry. One thing led to another & Sam said he might as well just run away. Next thing we knew he had tears in his eyes, but more so than that determination on his face. He came in from the other room filling his backpack & putting it on, put on his shoes & while he was reaching for his coat Rob & I were putting on ours. Sam stopped, looked & asked why we were putting our coats on. I said, "I'm coming with you", Rob said, "You aren't going without me". Sam agreed to sit on the porch swing with me. We talked, he didn't really know what was

wrong, just that he knew he was going to get out of the house. We thanked him for not really taking off & talking to us first. He was however reluctant to unpack his backpack "just in case".
When we did unpack his backpack he told me all the things & why. Orville ("Of course" he said), underwear, socks, three shirts, two action guys, green thread to play with, his library books, and a picture of his friends off of the fridge in case he got lonely. Sigh. It was heartbreaking. We all got a good night sleep though & in the morning everything looked brighter.

These were the wet alien bones from the party Saturday...they were a big hit! Pretzel rods & green food coloring evidently have a strange reaction when mixed. I soaked the pretzels for about 15 minutes, drained, added food coloring & as they were drying the "skin" appeared to be peeling off when touched...ew & perfect! We had eyeballs...originally I thought a mason jar of eyeballs would be perfect. After peeling 6 grapes...I was done. A little food coloring, baby oil (Rob's idea to make them shiny!) & that was that. The boys loved it, it was an overload of ick, yuck, ew, gross, wicked, & excellent grossed out faces!

The next day was KC Jackson's party & we went to the Edge...what a great place! Noah stayed with Grandpa & Grandma while Sam, Madeline, Rob & I hung out with the Schmitt's at a great tumble & fun place. Rob was showing Sam how to jump on & then turn around...
You want me to do what?This morning Madeline came around the corner while everybody was getting dressed. Here comes Madeline: I'm ready! Noah looks @ her & says, "Madeline you look silly!" Madeline then looks at Noah & says, "No I don't!" That went on until it was time to eat Cheerios :).