Saturday, November 1, 2008

Meltdowns & 'you know you are your mother when'

With Sam's birthday a good 20 hours behind us the kids are all decked out in Halloween gear ready to go go go. Miss Madeline was a witch with pink (she keeps finding them as I hide them) too-small cowboy boots. Then when it came time for door-to-door trick-or-treating Madeline was Super Girl...and what a great Super Girl she was!Now it was time to get Noah dressed for trick-or-treating. Noah didn't want to get dressed, he didn't want to go, he didn't want Madeline looking at him, didn't want Bubba looking at him, didn't want me looking at him, & Daddy was "busted for 20 weeks!". This of course was before papa's house... This is after papas house & luckily lasted the duration of our evening!
Ahhhh, the glory of treats. I imagine this would be the point at which I may have thought to myself...I have lost all control of my children. Since Sam was sitting on TOP of the table in his underwear, Madeline was also on top of the table in her PJ's & Noah Baker keeps unwrapping and gobbling with one swift movement. It's only once a year and only for a few more years at that...so we decided to sit back & enjoy.
So now we've come to the plastic bag. This morning I was cleaning out the fridge. Making a grocery list, still uncertain if whether or not my trip to Arizona will actually take place with my current child-care-crisis. So making two lists, a Mommy will be here list & a fix-it-quick Mommy is out of town list. I take the red potatoes out of the bag & then look at the bag. I say to Rob & myself; I could probably re-use this one. As I'm rinsing it out & putting it on the faucet to dry I turn to Rob & say, "You realize that I just turned into our mother's right then, right?" "Yes". And we both smiled. It's a good bag; and I will use it.